Trump Warns of Possible Second U.S. Strike on Venezuela

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Sunday that a second military strike on Venezuela was possible if remaining members of President Nicolas Maduro’s government fail to cooperate with U.S. efforts to stabilise the country following Maduro’s capture.

Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, Trump suggested further U.S. military action in Latin America could not be ruled out and warned that other countries, including Colombia and Mexico, could also face action if they do not curb the flow of illicit drugs into the United States.

Maduro is currently being held in a New York detention centre and is due to appear in court on Monday on drug-related charges. His detention has plunged Venezuela into uncertainty, raising questions about the country’s political future and governance.

Trump said his administration intends to work with remaining officials from Maduro’s government to combat drug trafficking and restructure Venezuela’s oil industry, rather than immediately push for elections.

Senior figures in Caracas have rejected the U.S. operation, describing Maduro’s detention as a kidnapping. Interior Minister Diosdado Cabello said Maduro remains Venezuela’s sole legitimate president, while Vice President Delcy Rodriguez has assumed interim leadership with the backing of the country’s top court.

The operation has drawn sharp criticism both domestically and internationally. Venezuelan Defence Minister Vladimir Padrino said the U.S. attack killed soldiers and civilians, including members of Maduro’s security detail, and announced that the armed forces had been mobilised to defend national sovereignty. Cuba said 32 of its citizens were killed during the raid.

Trump defended the operation as a law-enforcement action to enforce U.S. criminal charges filed against Maduro in 2020, including narco-terrorism conspiracy. He also said U.S. oil companies should have full access to Venezuela’s vast reserves and accused Maduro of allowing mass migration and criminal activity into the United States.

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Venezuela’s next leadership must prevent the country’s oil industry from falling into the hands of U.S. adversaries and end drug trafficking. He said existing U.S. restrictions on Venezuelan oil exports would remain in place until U.S. conditions are met.

Inside Venezuela, public reaction has been muted. Small groups of Maduro supporters held rallies in Caracas, while many residents continued daily routines amid uncertainty. Some citizens reported stockpiling food and basic supplies.

Opposition figures have reacted cautiously. Trump has dismissed the idea of opposition leader Maria Corina Machado assuming power, saying she lacks sufficient support, despite claims from the opposition that its candidate won the 2024 election.

The move has also raised legal and political concerns abroad. U.S. Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer questioned how long American forces might remain involved in Venezuela and warned of the risk of a prolonged conflict. Russia and China criticised the U.S. action, and the United Nations Security Council is expected to meet to discuss the situation.

Source: Reuters