Over 1,000 Imported Salt Containers Stranded at Colombo Port for Six Months

More than 1,000 containers of imported salt have remained stranded at warehouses in the Colombo Port for over six months after the expiry of the approved import period.

In addition, nearly 700 salt containers are being held by Sri Lanka Customs due to concerns over substandard quality and delays in approval from the Sri Lanka Standards Institution (SLSI).

The imports were permitted last year as a temporary measure to address a salt shortage in the country. A gazette notification issued by the government allowed private importers to bring in salt, stipulating that all imports must be completed before June 10, 2025.

However, authorities say several importers continued to import salt after the stipulated deadline, resulting in large consignments being stored at port facilities.

Customs Director and Media Spokesman Chandana Punchihewa stated that authorities are acting strictly in line with the gazette notification. He said importers have been instructed to re-export the consignments, but have failed to take the necessary action. He also confirmed that one company has filed a court case in connection with the issue.

Meanwhile, Sri Lanka Ports Authority (SLPA) Chairman Sirimevan Ranasinghe said discussions are ongoing to resolve the matter.

With congestion increasing due to a rise in import, export and re-export containers, Minister of Ports and Civil Aviation Anura Karunathilake has instructed officials to take urgent measures to minimize disruptions to port operations.

It was also decided to speed up clearance procedures by directing low-risk containers to the Bloemendhal Container Yard operated by the SLPA, under the full supervision of the Sri Lanka Customs Department, to ease congestion and improve efficiency.